Dextrose 5% in water is used to treat low blood sugar (hypoglycemia), insulin shock, or dehydration (fluid loss). Dextrose 5% in water is also given for nutritional support to patients who are unable to eat because of illness, injury, or other medical condition.
Before using dextrose 5% in water, tell your doctor if you have diabetes, breathing problems, an electrolyte imbalance, kidney or liver disease, a food or drug allergy, or if you receive regular blood transfusions.
Do not mix dextrose 5% in water with any medication that has not been prescribed by your doctor. If you are using the injections at home, be sure you understand how to properly mix and store your medicine.